Wednesday, April 8

Quoted Aristotle

Favorite Aristotle Quotes
- Dignity consists not in possessing honors, but in the consciousness that we deserve them.
- Education is the best provision for the journey to old age.
- Young people are in a condition like permanent intoxication, because youth is sweet and they are growing.
- It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

About the Philosopher Aristotle
Aristotle was born in 384 BC at Stagirus, a Greek colony and seaport on the coast of Thrace. His father Nichomachus was court physician to King Amyntas of Macedonia. From this legacy began Aristotle's long association with the Macedonian Court, which considerably influenced his life.

Aristotle was the most notable product of the educational program devised by Plato, and he spent twenty years of his life studying at the Academy. He studied an amazing range of subjects, from logic, philosophy, and ethics to physics, biology, psychology, politics, and rhetoric. The initial book in Aristotle's collected logical works is The Categories, an analysis of the state and quality of his favorite topics.

Lessons Learned
In 2002, I studied Art Admin for one semester at the Art Institute of Chicago, we read Plato and Aristotle. At the time, I found it difficult to understand some of the teachings and observations. Today, I feel better suited to read works from Aristotle, and to actually grasp his point of view. I chose the quotes above because they speak to me in some way; like the last quote about an educated mind. In the past, I used to run off at the mouth and react when someone disagreed with me. Now more educated, older, and with kids of my own, I am able to be more accepting and patient of other people's opinions. I guess sometimes getting older IS better, especially when it comes with gaining knowledge about life.

Get more Aristotle quotes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it positive people!